Homemade meatballs and sauce
Another easy recipe that’s perfect for baby led weaning, and one that went down well with Stanley too (although he’s got his mama’s appetite so he’ll eat pretty much anything!!) I just cut the meatballs in half for Stanley, but they’re easy to cut into smaller pieces too if you want to try this with smaller babies. I had a portion too and I enjoyed it, I just served with mine with spaghetti (Stanley doesn’t do well with the spaghetti he just tends to dangle it out of his mouth, laugh and then 9swing it around and throw it – so normal pasta for him, ha!)
What you need:
- 250g mince
- 1 slice of bread (I used white bread but any would work)
- 1 egg
- A pinch of mixed herbs
- Onions (I didn’t weigh them but this is for the sauce so just judge on how much you guys like them! I use frozen chopped onion – if you haven’t used it before it’s a game changer, no faffing and no crying!!)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 400g passata
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
How to make the meatballs:
- Ideally you would have a blender to mix the bread and mince together so its ultra fine. However, I didn’t have a blender and mine still worked – I used the smallest holes on my cheese grater to get the bread into the finest breadcrumbs I could – there was still some larger bits but it made no difference to the meatballs. For the mince I just put it in a bowl and used a fork and stirred and ‘mashed’ it a little. Then add the breadcrumb mixture and the mixed herbs and stir thoroughly.
- Crack the egg into the mince and breadcrumb mix and again stir thoroughly. This help bind the mixture together so you can form the balls without it crumbling and falling apart.
- Next, lift the mixture out of the bowl and separate into around 12 even parts. Again, the number of meatballs you get will depend on the size you want them.
- Roll the mixture in your hands into balls.
- Add a little oil to a frying pan and add the meatballs to the pan. Make sure you turn them frequently. Cook for around 10 minutes or until they are golden brown and cooked in the middle.
How to make the sauce:
- Add a little oil to a pan, and cook off the onions until soft.
- Next, add the passata, tomato purée, garlic and oregano and stir.
- You can add anything else to the sauce i.e. sweet corn or other hidden veggies if your little one is fussy about eating them.
- Leave to simmer for 5 minutes and your good to go! (You might need to add a little water if you leave it too long, and depending how thin you like the sauce to be). I had enough sauce for 2 portions for Stanley, which for us covered 6 meatballs. I made extra sauce for my portion.
Hope you enjoy making this recipe and that your little ones love it! Let me know if you try it and what you thought! If you’d like to try some other baby led weaning recipes, why not try homemade fish fingers or a tasty baby friendly curry?!